Sunday, March 16, 2014

Pantone Challenge Mini

Did you join the Pantone Quilt Challenge this year?  This will be my first time,and I am pretty excited about it!  Purple is not one of the prevalent colors in my stash however,I managed to find enough to make a mini quilt for the challenge.


Since I am also participating in the 30/30 Sewing Challenge I used my "selfish sewing time" this past week to finish up this mini,killing two birds with one quilt ;)  At this stage the #Purple mini was just sewn together,without any quilting(just the top).


The quilting on this took me quite a bit longer than anticipated,but I am glad that I decided to quilt inside each part of the hashtag/number symbol.  As it just makes the symbols stand out off the quilt.  Although it was sunny today the wind did not play nice,so the outside shots had to be snapped off quickly between gusts!


It kind of amazes me the difference in color from one photo to the next today.  Although both the photo above and this one were taken within minutes of each other,with the only difference being that this one is a closer shot,it surprised me to see the color difference from one to the next!  In the first photo you can see the orchid color in the corner and center batik blocks much better,whereas in this one it blends into the other purple shades.


An inside shot,where you can see the orchid a lot better as well as the quilting,which has me loving this little quilt more and more.  Binding is always my least favorite part of quilting,and this time was not the exception.  After sewing the two ends together at least 7 times and ripping it right back out,I quit counting...somehow I always manage to twist or turn one end wrong.  Grrr!

Well,yes,at one point I did contemplate throwing it in the yard and stomping on it a few times... however on the last attempt both ends Miraculously ended up facing the correct direction,and this little gem was saved from the throwing and stomping :)


Of course I could not just have a plain jane backing,so two extra blocks and a couple scraps  later the back was also finished.  For the first time I made some little corner triangle hanging tabs,from a scrap of purple sunflower fabric.  My very last scrap of that print,which I had been holding onto,because there was bound to be the Perfect project for it!

Stats:
size ~ 23x23
batting ~ Soft & Bright
Kona Med Grey & various prints in shades of purple

18 comments:

  1. #Purple....grin....This quilt looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning CeLynn, I do love your new header, it goes perfectly with the title of your blog, CeLynn's Sunflower Patch.
    This little quilt is lovely and I had to smile when you said that you have problems with the binding, as I often have the same problem..... frustrating isn't it.
    This is a perfect little piece of sewing.... I love it.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a gorgeous purple finish! What a fabulous mini. And the binding does look perfect! Love the backing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love #Purple! What a great little quilt and your quilting of it is perfect! It was well worth the time you spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks great! I still can't finish my binding like you did! I've noticed whilst seeing Radiant Orchid entries on line that the colour varies wildly from a pinky purple to a cool blue purple, I think it's down to the individual's camera AND the reader's monitor settings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute little quilt, CeLynn! I like the way you quilted it, it's absolutely adorable! Is Spring there yet? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great example of what a difference quilting makes. The change in the look between pieced and quilted is amazing - love how you did inside each section. This looks beautiful, CeLynn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quilting, and yes the hashtags do POP...the back is just great, I hate binding also, so I put that off as much as possible..love the quilt....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the purple mini quilt! I think it's great how the color changes turned out on your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous purple quilt! The quilting is beautiful and it really makes the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You put together pretty combo. I like how the quilting adds the texture to it. Good luck in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the quilting on your quilt. It adds a lot to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely, and the effort you went to with the quilting was definitely worth it! Thanks for playing along with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love this, CeLynn!!! I like the layout and how you quilted in the hashtags. It really is nicely balanced but modern looking. The pieced back is great too! I had to laugh at your binding story but I am sorry it was such a trial. Worth it in the end though because you have a lovely entry for the contest!!! Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Binding is my least favorite part also. Those corners just don't want to come together for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you beat that binding into submission! This is very pretty, and the quilting turned out wonderfully! Gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, the quilting really does make the hashtags stand out beautifully! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The purple looks great. I think this rivals the peach twister one you made a while back ago. I like it very much. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers