Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bring on the Bacon ,jam that is

When trying to decide just exactly what recipe to use for my first preserving/canning how to tutorial,I was really not sure.  Should I go with a tried and true jam recipe,or take it up a notch and start with a modern take?  Well,the modern take won out,so here we go...

Utensils:

  • Large Stock Pot
  • Chefs knife
  • cutting board
  • measuring spoons
  • measuring cups
  • ladle
  • large wooden spoon
  • slotted spoon
  • Food processor
  • freezer containers (mason jars,or plastic freezer containers)

Bacon Jam:


  • 2 pounds sliced bacon (you can use pork,beef,or turkey)
  • 2 large yellow onions,peeled and thinly sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic,peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups very strong black coffee
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper



Cut your bacon into one (1) inch pieces.


Brown one third of your bacon at a time,in a large heavy duty stock pot.  Cook,stirring frequently until the bacon is browned.


Using a slotted utensil,remove browned bacon to a bowl or plate,you can place paper towels at the bottom to soak up more of the grease.



While the bacon is browning,thinly slice the onion and garlic.


After the last third of bacon has browned,and been removed from the pot,discard all but two (2) tablespoons of the drippings/grease,and add the onions and garlic to the pot.  Stir the the onions and garlic,and reduce the heat to medium.  Continue to cook and stir frequently,for 8 minutes,or until most of the onions are translucent.


Add the coffee,brown sugar,cider vinegar,maple syrup,and freshly ground pepper to the onions and garlic,stir well.


Bring to a boil, and boil hard for two (2) minutes.


Return all of the bacon to the pot,and stir well.  Reduce heat to low,and simmer uncovered for two to three hours.  Stirring occasionally,so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.  If,and Only If it looks like the liquid is evaporating and the mixture is drying out,you can add a 1/4 cup water.  (I didn't need to add any extra liquid)


When the onions are very soft and the liquid is thick and syrupy,remove from the heat and let stand for 5-10 minutes.


While the mixture is standing prepare your food processor.



Using your ladle,transfer the bacon mixture to the food processor.



Depending on the size of your food processor,you can either process the mixture in one or two batches.



My Kitchen Aid is fairly large,so I processed all of the mixture at once.


You are looking for a spreadable consistency,so you decide how much or how little to process.


Fill the freezer container of your choice,but make sure not to fill it to the top!  You want to leave room for expansion.  I left a good 1/2-1 inch of head space.


Allow the containers to cool,label and place in the freezer.  Of course you will probably want to keep at least one,in the fridge!  (we did)

Your bacon jam will keep for up to a month in the fridge,or for 6 months in the freezer.

Now go make some toast and enjoy your very own Bacon Jam :)

Linking up at :

Clever Chicks Blog Hop

Linky Tuesday

sew darn crafty link party
















































4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I have never seen anything like that before. You had me at bacon (yum!), but unfortunately I cannot stand the smell of coffee...

    Do you eat it on toast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of bacon jam but it sure looks good! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning CeLynn, As you can tell, I am just catching up on your posts, and I love this recipe. I have never heard of bacon jam, but the consistency reminds me of a pate. I showed my husband and he has asked me to make this for him. So next time I go to the shops I am going to buy some cider vinegar and bacon and make this for George. The coffee was an interesting ingredient.
    Thank you for a wonderful new recipe.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers