Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pina Colada Freezer Jam

Are you ready to can/preserve some more veggies from the garden?  Today we are going to be making some jam reminiscent of a cocktail drink called Pina Colada!  You are going to be surprised by one of the ingredients,but don't let that make you shy away from trying out this recipe.  I assure you,that this jam is so good you could eat it right out of the container with a spoon!  (at least,Mr. P did!)

Pina Colada Jam:


Supplies from the cupboard/pantry needed to make this recipe.


  • Large stock pot
  • Mason jars (or plastic freezer containers) 8 oz
  • wooden or plastic spoon 
  • ladle
  • grater or food processor 
  • clean cloth (for wiping the rims of the containers)
  • 2 three ounce packages of Pineapple gelatin
  • 1 teaspoon of Rum extract
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple (do not discard the juice)
  • 6 cups grated Zucchini (use a grater or food processor)
  • 6 cups sugar


Add to your stock pot,the grated zucchini,lime juice,sugar,pineapple including the juice.  Stir to incorporate/mix all of the ingredients together.



Bring to a boil.  Stirring constantly,boil for 10 minutes.


Remove from the heat (I just turned off the gas burner).  Add the 1 teaspoon of rum extract,and stir to incorporate.


Add the two packages of pineapple gelatin,and stir until it has all dissolved.  Allow to cool slightly,especially if you will be using plastic freezer containers.


These are the containers I will be using for my jam,because they stack nicely in the freezer.


Move your stock pot to a location with plenty of room to work.  The kitchen table works great for me.


Now we are ready to start filling the containers.  Make sure that you leave a 1/2 inch headspace at the top of your containers.


After filling all the containers,set them aside to completely cool before placing the lids on them.


Once the jam is cooled off wipe the rims of your containers with the(damp) clean cloth before placeing the lids on your containers,label them and place them in the freezer.  I left one container out at Mr. P's request :)

The jam wil keep for up to one month in the refrigerator,or up to one year in the freezer.  Hope you give this one a try,you will be surprised at how unexpectedly delicious it is!







4 comments:

  1. Wow! This recipe sounds so yummy and refreshing! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this. Quite a unique flavor! Instead of all zucchini squash I used some yellow and some other squash. So, mine is all yellow. I am really glad to have something besides steaming and making zucchini bread to do with my squash. I can't wait to share it with someone, so thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, zucchini? It actually looks delicious! I was surprised to see my picture doing the big stitch on your post! I have the photo of us so I'm happy to send it to you:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers