Friday, July 18, 2014

Manly tote/fish bag...

Happy Friday everybody!  Not sure about you but I was very happy to clock out at work this afternoon!  Tomorrow Mr. P and I are taking a day trip so he can do a little fishing.


Three years ago I made Mr. P a bag to put his fish in for transporting them from the fishing spot home. (since he likes to take my car when he goes fishing)  The original bag was pretty small at about 13 inches by 11 inches and the bottom was not boxed.


He wanted a bigger bag to hold the "big ones"so I went to work making him an updated,or new and improved version.  It needed to be big,"like the tote bags you make",with a real long strap so it can just be slung over the shoulder for ease of carrying.

I used a belt discarded from a recently purchased pair of shorts for the strap.  Just like the first bag this one has a fusible vinyl coating fused to the fabrics,so that the bag can just be washed out at the garden hose after each use.


For the inside fabric I used the same fabric that the first bag was made from.  To give the bag stability I used some deco fuse on the lining fabric,so the bag not only stands on its own,but the top also stays wide open.  So that it is easy to add fish no matter what size.

I had some issues with the thread breaking while trying to sew the topstitching around the top of the bag.  Other than that this bag was an easy project.  My favorite kind!



CherryLicous is also finished!  This was my second finish for the week,for the quilting I did a crisscross pattern that ended up making diamonds and rectangles.  The backing is the same black cherry print used in the second round of churn dash blocks.  The binding is scrappy with green and a red,black and white print.

Have a Sweet Weekend!
Linking up with : Fabric Frenzy Friday #23 over at Fort Worth Fabric Studio,  Let's Bee Social # 29 over at Sew Fresh quilts & Finish it up Friday over at crazy mom quilts



6 comments:

  1. The cherry's are so sweet! What a fabulous idea to make a quilt from the nested churn dash block, CeLynn. And that fish bag looks just perfect... Lots of fish will fit in there! Hope hubby is happy with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your churn dash quilt! And lucky Mr. P having such a cool eady to clean tote bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet cherry churndash! The tote for hubby is great with the laminated lining. Busy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to think of something to make for my husband! Love the bag and your quilt is beautiful. Would love to see the back also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bag is so dang cute! Great job. Love the nested churndash too....cherries:) Also cute! Such a productive week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a nice bag for your hubby! Love that it can be rinsed out with the hose:)

    Is Cherrylicious a nested churn dash? It looks great! I like the criss cross quilting. Reminds me of pie lattice!

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers