Sunday, April 20, 2014

The (Not So) Convertible bag


This was my ALYOF(button on side bar) goal for this month.  The Convertible bag,only in this case not so convertible...


The bag is designed to work either as a cross body bag or as a backpack.  However since my machine and the thread I was using to sew up this bag absolutely refused to play nice,even after numerous attempts at adjusting the bobbin tension...


This is where I decided to quit fighting and just have a cross body bag.(which I am quite happy with :)! Right below the two center points is where the tunnel for the backpack part of the strap was supposed to go.  If you look close you can probably see the needle holes from where I had stitched it.  Alas,the stitches would not stay in,which I noticed after turning the bag for the umpteenth time...


A look inside.  The pattern called for a zippered pocket on the inside and another one on the outside back.  I opted to omit both of them,and instead just have one slip divided slip pocket on the inside.  There was a little confusion on my part when arriving at the instructions on how to sew the lining and main body of the bag together.  I did figure it out,but had a couple bumps (resulting in puckers) at both side seams.  However I think that could be remedied with practice.


So here she is in all her glory,my not so convertible bag!  The pattern called for a thumb tuck,or catch.  Since I did not have one,and the bag designer was only offering the hardware in silver...I used a front buckle closure instead.  Took me a while to figure out how to make it work,but I managed.

Yes I will make this bag again,I really like it!  Next time I will be using thread that Lil Miss Janome can play nice with.  That other thread,well it is in thread      (the trash)



Saturday evening I finally managed to sew up the other five blocks for Kevin the Quilter.  So this week I can send off ten!  You can still make and send blocks into June.  Info is all at the link above.


During the Flags on a Stick hop I was a Lucky girl!  These lovely patterns came to me from Rhonda over at Revelly1.  They have been added to my "list".


These lovlies came from Shirley C from the blog Shirley C.  After I drool over the charms for a while I will decide what to use them for,and I am excited to start filling up the bobbin holder.


Last but not least are these two new additions to my library!  These are what I chose from Martingale for winning the March prize in the Big-City SAL!  This was a crazy winning month for me,even more so since I rarely win :)


4 comments:

  1. Turned out pretty well and I like the buckle closure. Nice goodies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute bag! Love cross body bags. And congratulations on a lucky month. Enjoy your winnings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your not so convertible bag! I am getting ready to sew my bag after I quickly do some quilting with metallic thread, I hope my little janome plays nice with it. These machines can be so persnickety!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow girl, you had some good luck! The bag is still really nice even if it's not convertible! My Janome likes polyester thread much better than cotton. The less lint the better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers