Friday, June 21, 2013

Asian Salmon with Vegetables

Since my sewing tables are packed up for the Farmers Market tomorrow...I decided to share a recipe with you...


It is a good thing that these little "papers"are for both outdoor & indoor cooking.  (since we are on fire here in CO and grills are banned)

On to the recipe...found inside of Fire & Flavor package
Asian Salmon with Vegetables:

2 tablespoons soy sauce; divided
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1 carrot,thinly sliced into 6-inch strips
2 scallions,thinly sliced into 6-inch strips
3/4 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
4  6 - 8 oz Salmon fillets
cotton string,for tying papers together
4 Fire & Flavor cedar papers,soaked for 10 minutes in a shallow pan/tray of water
salt & pepper; to taste

First:
Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce,oil,and ginger in a zip top plastic bag.  Add salmon and toss to coat.  Marinate  for 10 minutes at room temperature .  In a small bowl,toss carrots,scallions and mushroom slices with remaining soy sauce.

Next:
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat (about 400 degrees).  Remove salmon from marinade and season each fillet with salt and pepper.  Place one fillet in center of each paper and top with equal amount of vegetables.  Fold edges of paper over the fillets and secure with cotton string.

Last:
Place packets on grill or in grill pan and cook for 4-5 minutes per side,depending on the thickness of the fish.  Remove from the grill/pan using tongs and serve.

Cooking tip:
Soak papers in wine,sake,or bourbon for extra flavor.



Changes I made to the above recipe:

  • marinated everything together in the plastic bag
  • used crystalized ginger chopped into small bits (because that is what I had)
  • grated the carrot (because they were baby carrots & I didn't want to cut myself)
  • used red onion (no scallions on hand)
  • a handful of sugar snap peas sliced thinly (in place of mushrooms)
I also sliced my fillets into three or four thiner pieces so the vegetables were wrapped up inside of the fish.

If you like salmon I hope you give this recipe a try,we loved it!  Now I want to try the Mediterranean Salmon recipe too :)

4 comments:

  1. That recipe looks great! I love salmon or any kind of fish really. I hope you are no where near the fires. And I hope the farmers market wa fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CeLynn, this recipe just made my mouth water! I suggest to buy freshfresh ginger and keep it in the freezer whole. It's always on hand and easy to grade when you need to use it. I grade it on a micrograder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Afternoon CeLynn, I am so sorry it has taken me a little while to come over and visit your blog, I just do not know where this week has gone to.
    I love salmon, it is one of my favourite fish to eat and I love Asian food, so I will certainly be making this dish. The only thing is, I have never heard of Cedar papers, so I will have to see if they are available in England. If they aren't will tin foil be alright to use?
    I hope you are having a lovely Sunday and I look forward to the Mediterranean Salmon as I used to live on the Island of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea.
    I have enjoyed my visit so much that I have become a new follower.
    Best Wishes to you,
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious CeLynn! I like the addition of snap peas. Let us know how the Mediterranean Salmon turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Comments from the Sunflowers